LET'S TALK ABOUT... FAMILY THEORIES
Let’s Talk About.. Family Theories!!
This week we learned about understanding family dynamics and theories.
A quote from President James E. Faust says, “In addition to temples, surely another holy place on earth out to be our homes. The feelings of holiness in my home prepared me for the feelings of holiness in the temple.”
I really like this quote because I feel like it was taught in my home throughout my whole life. I remember my parents going to the temple at least once a week and making a sacrifice to drive all the way to the temple to make sure that we knew how important the temple was in our life. I agree with the president Faust when he talked about how the feelings of holiness in our homes will prepare us for the feelings of holiness in the temple. I felt like my parents would make it a priority to go to the temple and to have our home feel like a holy place to be.
We talked about theories in class and how different types of actions or backgrounds happen in a family. There are different types of theories that help us understand different family life.
Exchange theory
Symbolic interaction theory
Conflict theory.
General ecological theory.
These different theories help families apply and examine family life.
In the reading there is a quote that I really liked that demonstrates well what a family theory is. “Unlike theories of individual behavior, family theories take into account the interrelatedness of factors, including the influence of one member’s behavior upon another. They offer explanations for what might otherwise seem like mysterious patterns of behavior, even when those behaviors seem counter-intuitive.”
This quote is really powerful to me because of how well it relates to individual behavior and family theories. I feel like whenever I talk with my parents they either want me to become better in how they raised me or they are disappointed in how I am now. Do not get me wrong when I say that I think that my parents are always disappointed in me, they are not. I know that they love me and care about me. I feel like the choices I make that are not necessarily bad come out to seem like they are bad. This is hard for me because I want to make them proud but it feels like I am not feeling heard or wanted when they say this to me. I want to make them proud and I want them to see that in me. I need to feel like they care and love me. Sometimes in a family system sometimes you don’t see all the good or all the bad. I really appreciate my parents and really all that they do for me. This is why I really love the idea of individual behavior because I want to be myself and do things that are good for me and sometimes I feel as if my parents don’t see that.
Going back to the beginning of the blog when I talked about attending the temple. I would like to add another point to it. When I was growing up there was a sign in the kitchen from President Gordon B. Hinckley that said, “Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured.” I always really loved that because I felt like in our family if we are not enjoying then we are just enduring. It is hard to find joy when we are just enduring all the time. We are made to enjoy life and to go through things with our families by our side.
Comments
Post a Comment