LET’S TALK ABOUT… PARENTING

 LET’S TALK ABOUT… PARENTING 


There are so many things I can write about concerning parenting. We talked about how to lay out a floor plan and how important a floor plan is. This reminds me of the marriage we can build, it all starts with a floor plan. 

We talked about the purpose of parents and parenting. I think the purpose of parenting is to help raise and guide children in love and unity and to help them become good people in the world and to teach them about Jesus Christ. And to raise emotional well kids, to protect and prepare them to survive and thrive in the world. I think this is really important to teach children correct and moral principles. 

Everyone has a different set of needs and a different way they need to be raised and brought up. The way my parents raised me is very different from how my friends and roommates were raised. There are lots of reasons why it was different, money is something that comes to my head first. Growing up my family did not have a lot of family and it was hard sometimes to see how my friends had so much and would do all these cool things and I didn’t have a lot growing up. It is also hard to see that from the outside of a home or family some parents seem so put together and organized. But we only see a portion of what that family system is made of. I also think it is so interesting to be able to have learned about different family dynamics and the different ways families react to one another. 

As children and even as teenagers and adults, we all need contact. We need it in our lives, it is hard to not have that personal touch and to feel loved and wanted when we do not have that. I know for me that is something that I really need in my life. There is a studying done about rabbits and how some rabbits were doing really well and other rabbits were not well. The rabbits that were doing well and progressing had a nurse that would come in and pet and sing to the rabbits. The other rabbits did not have that and they suffered. We need that contact and belonging. Michael Popkins gave an approach called, “Active Parenting”. He gave different methods about parenting. Some needs that children need in parenting are, contact and belonging, power, (to be able to influence you!), protection, withdrawal and challenges. A quote from John Grober that I really like says, “You can never get enough of what you do not need, because what you do not need can not satisfy you. I really like that quote because it is so simply true that you can never get enough, we want something but can not ever get enough of it! I really enjoy that quote. 

Something else I really liked that we talked about in class is helicopter parents and how that has affected children. When cell phones came out parents thought that it was because they knew where their children were because they could call them up and check in to see where they were. Nowadays we have trackers on our phones and our parents can track us. As for me, I think this is too much for parents to always know where their adult children are. I think sometimes parents hover too much thinking that they are helping their children and thinking they know what is best for their kids. This is hard for me to understand because I want to be by myself and to feel as if someone is not knowing where I am 24/7. I know that it can be helpful, but is it more helpful than hindering your relationship with your child? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LET'S TALK ABOUT... COMMUNICATION

LET'S TALK ABOUT... FAMILY STRESS

LET'S TALK ABOUT... MINDSET